Southfield Road, 11 Mile Road to 12 Mile Road
In partnership with Lathrup Village, the Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC) held a public meeting for the 2024 planned resurfacing of Southfield Road, 11 Mile Road to 12 Mile Road on Wednesday, November 15, 2023. The meeting was held from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Lathrup Village City Hall, 27400 Southfield Road, Lathrup Village.
The approximate $4.2 million project is mostly paid for with federal and RCOC dollars.
The project includes:
- Removing and replacing the concrete at the 11 Mile/I-696 Service Drive intersection with Southfield Road.
- Grinding off the top layer of the concrete pavement at the 12 Mile Road/Southfield Road intersection and replacing it with asphalt.
- Grinding off the asphalt on Southfield Road between 11 Mile Road and 12 Mile Road and replacing it with new asphalt.
- Grinding off the asphalt on the first 400 feet of 12 Mile Road west of Southfield Road and replacing it with new asphalt.
- Reconstructing select side-street approaches.
- Repairing curbs and gutters.
- Installing pedestrian crosswalks that comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Upgrading SMART bus stops.
- Improving storm sewers and drainage.
- Modernizing the traffic signal at the Goldengate/Sunset Drive intersection with Southfield Road.
- Installing pedestrian-activated traffic signals at the California Drive and Wiltshire Boulevard intersections with Southfield Road.
- Utility work and tree removals (starting in late 2023 through early 2024).
STAGE 1 (approximately three weeks)
- One lane of Southfield Road in each direction and the center left-turn lane will be open between 11 Mile Road and 12 Mile Road.
- 11 Mile Road, both north and south of I-696, will be closed on the west side of Southfield Road. Westbound 11 Mile Road traffic will only be able to turn left or right at Southfield Road.
- Both eastbound and westbound I-696 exit ramps at Southfield Road will close.
STAGE 2 (approximately three weeks)
- One lane in each direction will be open on Southfield Road between 11 Mile Road and 12 Mile Road.
- 11 Mile Road, both north and south of I-696, will be closed on the east side of Southfield Road. Eastbound 11 Mile Road traffic will only be able to turn right or left at Southfield Road.
- The westbound I-696 exit ramp to Southfield Road will be closed.
CONTRACTOR: TBA (To Be Announced)
- 11 Mile Road/Southfield Road intersection work will take place in late spring/early summer of 2024 and will last approximately two months.
- Paving on Southfield Road will occur during the summer and fall of 2024.
- 12 Mile Road/Southfield Road intersection work will take place on weekends in late summer and fall of 2024 and will include closing 12 Mile Road between Evergreen Road and Greenfield Road during those weekends.