Grand River Avenue, Napier Road to Wixom Road
The Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC), in partnership with the city of Wixom and Lyon Township, held a public information meeting on Tuesday, Dec. 6, about the planned construction on Grand River Avenue, from Napier Road to Wixom Road, in the city. The meeting was held from 4 p.m. until 7 p.m. at Wixom City Hall, 49045 Pontiac Trail, in Wixom. The meeting was open-house format -- there were no formal presentations. RCOC staff was present to answer questions throughout the meeting.
LOCATION: Grand River Avenue, Napier Road to Wixom Road
COMMUNITIES: Lyon Township and Wixom
The approximate $5.4 million project will be paid for mostly with federal funds with matching dollars from the RCOC, Wixom and Oakland County general government (through the Tri-Party Program).
The project includes:
- Pavement milling (grinding off old pavement) and refracting Grand River Avenue between 12 Mile Road and Wixom Road.
- Construction of a continuous center left-turn lane between Napier Road and 12 Mile Road and a mix of resurfacing and reconstruction of this section of Grand River Avenue.
- Improvements to drainage and installation of curbs and gutters.
- Road shoulder paving where appropriate.
- Upgrading pedestrian crosswalks to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Modernization of the traffic signals at the Grand River/Napier and Grand River/12 Mile intersections.
- Tree removals are expected during the winter and spring of 2023.
CONTRACTOR WEBSITE: https://www.fonsoninc.com/
PROJECT START: October 2 (preliminary work) Spring of 2024, TBA, for construction
PROJECT COMPLETION: Late August, 20024
ROAD CLOSURE INFORMATION:
Two-way traffic will be maintained on Grand River Avenue during the work.
Napier Road is expected to close at Grand River Avenue for intersection improvements the closure information will be announced soon. Once closed, the detour is Napier Road to Ten Mile Road to Beck Road to Grand River Avenue and vice versa.
Access to homes and businesses maintained throughout the project.