Orchard Lake Road -- Commerce road to Middlebelt Road
DATE: Tuesday, March 21, 2023
TIME: 4:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
LOCATION: Roosevelt Elementary School, 3380 Orchard Lake Road, Orchard Lake Village
There will be no formal presentations; however, the public can review plans and talk to RCOC staff.
PROJECT LIMITS AND COMMUNITIES:
PROJECT LIMITS: Orchard Lake Road, Middlebelt Road to west of Commerce Road (Rycroft Street)
COMMUNITIES: Bloomfield Township, Keego Harbor, Orchard Lake Village and Sylvan Lake.
The $4.8 million project is mostly funded by the RCOC with additional funds from Keego Harbor, Orchard Lake Village, Sylvan Lake and Oakland County general government (through the Tri-Party Program).
- Safety enhancements include converting the current road to three through lanes with a center left-turn lane.
- Reconstruction and drainage improvements on the section from south of Rycroft Street to the north of Commerce Road.
- Milling (grinding off existing pavement) on the remainder of the road and resurfacing with asphalt.
- Isolated side street-approach reconstruction, repairs to curbs and gutters and upgrades to sidewalks and crosswalks to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Upgrades to traffic signals throughout the corridor.
CONTRACTOR/TIMELINE/ROAD CLOSURE INFORMATION:
CONTRACTOR: Cadillac Asphalt
CONTTRACTOR WEBSITE: https://www.cadillacasphalt.com/
July 6 July 10
END DATE: Mid-November
ROAD CLOSURE INFORMATION (Access to businesses will be maintained throughout the project):
- Expect intermittent lane closures during utility relocation work.
During the first 35 days of construction (starting approximately on July 10), Commerce Road will close at Orchard Lake Road for intersection improvements. Additionally, northbound/eastbound Orchard Lake Road, Commerce Road to Rycroft Street, will close until early September for drainage improvements and reconstruction of the road. Southbound and westbound Orchard Lake Road will remain open to traffic. Northbound and eastbound Orchard Lake Road traffic detour : Long Lake Road to Middlebelt Road, back to Orchard Lake Road. Commerce Road/Orchard Lake Road intersection closure detour: Commerce Road to Hiller Road to Cooley Lake Road Cass-Elizabeth Lake Road to Cass Lake Road, back to Orchard Lake Road, and vice versa. The intersection reopened to traffic on Aug. 10.
- Two-way traffic maintained on Orchard Lake Road, just south of Commerce to Middlebelt Road. After Labor Day, the road will be open to two-way traffic from Middlebelt to south of Commerce Road for the duration of the construction.
PUBLIC-COMMENT PERIOD HAS ENDED
The Public Comment Period ended on June 11th, thank you for submitting your comments
Project limits: Commerce Road to Middlebelt Road
Communities: Orchard Lake Village, Keego Harbor, Sylvan Lake and West Bloomfield Township
Funding: Fiscal Year 2023 Federal Surface Transportation Program
Project details: Federal funding to resurface this road has been programmed for fiscal year 2023. The Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC) has identified major safety concerns along the roadway and intends to address these concerns while also improving the condition of the pavement.
The lack of a center, left-turn lane is the primary concern as it relates to safety.
In order to effectively improve the operations of the corridor, RCOC hired a consulting firm to study the current traffic patterns and conditions. This study was conducted to evaluate potential design alternatives to allow the integration of a center, left-turn lane to improve safety without simultaneously increasing traffic delays.
OLR - Road-Diet Study (Please note: Due to the size of this document it may take longer than expected to open.)