File a Damage Claim



Please note that any road beginning with "I", "M" or  "US" ((i.e., I-96, I-75, I-696, M-5, M-1/Woodward), M-59/Highland, M-24/Lapeer, US-10/Lodge, US-24/Telegraph) is a state road and those claims need to be filed with the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT).
Please visit:   MDOT Damage Claim Form  or call 248-451-0001

The typical types of claims can result from: 
      -Road Defects (potholes and debris)
      -Vehicle Collision Damage (mini-tort)
      -Miscellaneous Property Damage (For MAILBOXES: RCOC will either replace with a similar size mailbox and post OR  reimburse resident up to $25.00. To replace a mailbox/post, please call 877-858-4804 or email

Whether your claim is for property damage or bodily injury, the process is the same. The following are the steps necessary:

1. First call or email the RCOC Department of Customer Service (DCS) at: or 877-858-4804 and a DCS Identification Number will be issued.   MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE THE LOCATION OF THE INCIDENT INCLUDING ROAD, NEAREST MAJOR CROSSROAD AND COMMUNITY.

2. Complete the on-line form (link) or the downloaded PDF file Claim Form (link)

3. Form must be completely filled out. Incomplete forms will be returned. The form must be signed and dated for processing and consideration. Be sure to retain a copy for your records.

4. Attach relevant documentation to the form to support your claim, such as:
• Copies of car repair bills/invoices paid for out-of-pocket expenses
• Proof of Michigan No-Fault Automobile Insurance for Mini-Tort Claims
• Photographs of damage or incident scenes (optional)
• Diagrams (optional)
• Police Reports (optional) 

5.  To file on-line: RCOC On-line Damage Claim Form
6. You may also wish to Download RCOC Damage Claim Document (if mailed or dropped off, the RCOC will only maintain an electronic copy of the claim form).  The document and attachments can be sent by email to or mail it to:
Road Commission for Oakland County
ATTN: Risk Management
31001 Lahser Road
Beverly Hills, MI 48025

Please be aware that under state governmental immunity laws MCL 691.1402 and MCL 691.1403 you must show that the RCOC failed to maintain the actual roadbed of the highway in reasonable repair to prove a highway defect claim. You also must show that the RCOC knew of the condition and had an opportunity to repair it, or that the condition existed for more than 30 days. The RCOC will only consider damages not covered by your insurance company. 
Once your claim is received it will be assigned within approximately 30 days to the RCOC third party administrator for review and determination (determination can take up to 90 days):

Mackinaw Administrators LLC
P.O. Box 489
Brighton, Michigan 48116
Toll Free Phone: 800-372-2428 x-4122

Only Mackinaw Administrators can respond to follow-up inquiries and advise the status of your claim. Processing time can also take up to 90 days.