Careers at RCOC
- Clicking on the "apply online" link below each job description.
- The online application includes a profile and option to attach resume or other documents.
- Once a profile is completed and saved, you can use it to apply for any future open positions.
- You have the option to update your profile at any time. Updated information will not be transmitted to previously submitted applications or other documents; rather, all future applications will reflect current updates.
- Once your application is complete, we encourage you to fill out the "Employment Survey," under the 'Careers" tab at the top of the website.
- The opportunity to help provide safe roads throughout Oakland County to the motoring public, which could include your family, friends and neighbors.
- The opportunity to work in an established organization which has existed for more than 100 years and maintains the largest county road system in the state.
- The responsibility to anticipate what Mother Nature has in store for us and help achieve safe roads in spite of her!
- The opportunity to continue to learn and grow your professional skills and talents.
Full Time Positions
The RCOC employs a diverse group of individuals, with a wide range of education, experience and talent. Whether a salaried or hourly position, continued career growth and opportunity is available to anyone who is interested. Full time employment at RCOC is defined as generally a 40 hour work week for benefit eligible purposes. Depending on the department and function, your position may be part of one of our bargaining units. Most full time positions are eligible for overtime. Upon meeting the eligibility requirements, newly hired employees are eligible for a vast range of benefits. Below is a sample of the diverse employment occupations and career paths we offer:
- Civil Engineering - Road/Bridge Design, Construction, Maintenance and Environmental Management
- Traffic Safety and Traffic Signal Engineering and Management
- Road and Highway Maintenance
- Program Management
- Purchasing - Equipment, Materials and Logistics Management
- Government/Public Administration
- Legal, Right of Way and Risk Management
- Strategic and Urban Planning
- Communications/Public Relations
- Information Technology
- Human Resources
See what some of our employees have to say about working at the RCOC:
Interns - Internships are an opportunity to gain valuable, creditable, on-the-job experience applying one's academic experience to a real life work situation. Each intern has a project to complete during the internship, and at the conclusion, present their project status and overall experience to the executive team. The typical internship is completed over a consecutive 12 week time frame, with the weekly schedule depending on the project.
Seasonal/Part-Time Employment - RCOC relies heavily on seasonal and part time employees to supplement its workforce. Seasonal employees will typically be employed to correlate with one of our weather seasons here in Michigan. A defined hire start and end date is targeted and communicated with this type of employment, and the schedule can vary, depending on the seasonal need, work and weather. Part time employment opportunities vary, depending on the needs of the organization.
- Medical & Prescription Drug Insurance - with some plans including elements such as a Health Savings Account (HSA), Telemedicine and Health Advocacy
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Paid Vacations
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick and Personal Days
- Flexible Spending Account
- Deferred Compensation Program
- Purchase Vacation Program
- Retirement Pension Plan
- Retirement Health Savings Account
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program